Best Healing Crystals for Anxiety
If you’re struggling with anxiety, you’re not alone. Globally, 1 in 13 people suffers from anxiety, according to a University of Queensland study. In recent times, stressful events have led to this number only increasing, and more and more people are looking into alternate methods to alleviate anxiety. Crystal healing can form a valuable part of this. Using grounding stones like the ones mentioned below can help usher calm and balance into your life. Here are 11 crystals that can help you manage anxiety.
Note: this material is for informational purposes only and should not replace medical or psychiatric treatment with a professional.
Ask any crystal healer for a stone they’d recommend for anxiety and amethyst is likely to be at the top of their list. This soothing purple stone is widely used for insomnia and nightmares, and can help settle your thoughts to get a good night’s sleep.
In Greek mythology, the stone is known as the stone of sobriety, and it is favoured by those in recovery from addiction. The deeply cleansing, balancing stone can help keep a clear mind. The traditional Chinese practice of Feng Shui also embraces the calming attributes of amethyst. It is a stone that brings about harmony in the household.
How to use amethyst for anxiety:
- Place it on your nightstand for a better night’s sleep
- Place the stone in your palm or on the ground around you while you meditate
- Place it on your desk in your office to promote calm at work
- Wear amethyst jewellery for calm throughout the day
- Place the stone near your root chakra to keep you grounded
Crystal healing certification
Tap into the power of stones and learn how to conduct powerful crystal healing sessions.
Amber is not technically a crystal: it is fossilised tree resin favoured for uit’s golden colour and beauty. It has been used in folk medicine in ancient Greece as well as traditional Chinese medicine.
Amber is one of the few stones that needs to be in contact with the skin to work. These won’t typically be used in an actual crystal healing session; it is more common for the stones to be worn as jewellery.
How to use amber for anxiety:
- Wear a string of amber beads around your neck
- Wear a bracelet made of amber beads
Rose quartz is one of the most popular stones, with its soft pink colour and gentle energy. These stones are referred to as the crystals of universal love. They are mined globally, which makes them quite easily attainable and inexpensive. Even the smallest piece of rose quartz kept in your space is ideal for welcoming in calming energy.
Rose quartz resonates strongly with the heart chakra, since it is the crystal of love and the heart chakra is all about love. Rose quartz also gently stimulates the root chakra and, as a result, it is extremely helpful for anxiety. It’s especially useful when the root of anxiety is heartache, trauma, pain, and fear. The stone helps you to welcome in love, harmony, and peace.
You can buy the stones in bags from nurseries for a very reasonable price. As long as you cleanse and charge these before use, like any crystal, they are perfect to use and can be an affordable way to attain lots of stones.
How to use rose quartz for anxiety
- Place it in the windowsill of a room to bring love and peace to the space
- Place one under your pillow to promote peaceful sleep
- Hold the stone or stones while you meditate
- Place the stones in your meditation area
- Lay with the stone over your heart and/or root chakra and breathe deeply
- Wear the stone as jewellery or keep it in your pocket to bring gentle calm to your day to day activities
Blue Lace Agate
Blue lace agate is a truly beautiful crystal, with layers of clear, pale blue, and darker blue. But it’s more than just a pretty face: blue lace agate is amazing at calming the mind and healing broken emotions. It opens the door to your spiritual connection, supporting intuition, clear expression, and alleviating stress and anxiety.
How to use blue lace agate for anxiety:
- Blue lace agate is very popular as a jewellery stone, for both its calming properties and its beautiful appearance
- Place the stones in your bedroom to benefit from its gentle energy while you rest
- Put the stones on your desk or elsewhere in your office to help reduce tension and improve communication
This inexpensive, shiny black stone is a popular choice for energy protection. Simply carrying a piece of black tourmaline around in your pocket can have a deeply calming effect. It is a grounding stone, and it prevents you from becoming overwhelmed. It also absorbs negative energy and protects your space from such energy, so if the source of your anxiety is external influences like work, difficult relationships, or events that are going on in the world, black tourmaline is a great choice.
How to use black tourmaline for anxiety:
- Holding black tourmaline in your palms during meditation to harmoniously center into a peaceful mind space.
- Place pieces around your front door or other entrances to absorb negative energy at the door
- Place pieces in the corners of a room to cleanse the energy in the room
- Wear it as jewellery or carry it in your pocket or bag (but remember to cleanse it regularly)
Sodalite is a beautiful, blue stone known for its ability to bring calm and order to the mind. It encourages rational thought, objectivity, truth and intuition, making it great for dealing with anxiety-provoking situations. It also assists in communication, especially in the verbalisation of feelings, and brings about great understanding.
How to use sodalite for anxiety
- Mediate with sodalite to enhance intuition
- Place on the throat chakra to encourage speaking one’s truth
- Wear it as a necklace and earrings, which will put the sodalite near the right chakra
- Place larger pieces in the healing room to clear energy
- Place near your bed or under your pillow when sleeping, to wake up refreshed with greater understanding and perspective
Selenite is a delicate clear or white crystal that brings a beautiful sense of peace, relaxation and calm into any space. It clears the air of negativity, which is helpful in just about any space. Selenite is often available as a lamp, which can be placed in a space to bring an ambient glow and a calming energy to the room. Selenite dissolves like sugar in water, so be very careful never to get it wet.
How to use selenite for anxiety
- Place a selenite lamp in your office or home to bring ambient light and calm energy
- Place the stone over your root chakra or heart chakra
- Hold the stone and stroke the striations while breathing deeply to alleviate panic and anxiety
Citrine is a gorgeous, radiant yellow stone reminiscent of sunlight. It is a stone of confidence, prosperity and joy, and it can aid concentration. It is an energising stone, which can help if you’re struggling with motivation and focus, or feeling drained. Citrine also gives courage, and is great for managing social or performance anxiety for this reason.
How to use citrine for anxiety
- Wear citrine jewellery over the solar plexus area as a pendant
- Lie with a stone on your chest and breathe
- Charge your bath water with citrine by adding a small stone to the water before you get in
- Place citrine stones in a grid to protect your space
- Wear as jewellery or carry in your pocket to social events, stressful meetings, job interviews, performances, public speaking engagements, or other anxiety-inducing events
Smokey Quartz is an amazing grounding stone, and a fantastic choice for releasing negative energy from your auric field. This stone is a valuable support for recovery from traumatic events or illness, and the anxiety that can be prevalent after such events. It is used as a cleansing stone.
How to use Smoky Quartz for anxiety
- Place a pointed piece of Smokey Quartz between your feet directed away from you for 10 to 15 minutes, to draw negative energy away from you
- Place over the root chakra to help ground you
- Wear as a pendant to balance your emotions
Few crystals can help you cope with the world and its frustrations better than Howlite. It eases raging emotions and brings about clarity and calm. Howlite softens frustration and improves sleep. It also helps clear out unnecessary communication barriers.
How to use howlite for anxiety
- Place howlite stones close to the bed at night to soothe stress and aid sleep
- Carry the crystal in your pocket if you are overwhelmed by the world and public spaces If
- Hold it while meditating to reduce anger and difficult emotions
Red Jasper is commonly referred to as the Nurturer’s Stone or the Supreme Nurturer. It does not always show the luminous shine that many other brighter and more colourful crystals do, but it's a very valuable crystal to have in your crystal healing toolkit.
Red jasper is a calming, grounding stone that helps with nerves, stress, and anxiety. It can help boost confidence, as well as developing patience and understanding to better
cope with a particularly challenging period. The stone also improves your sense of self belief, and helps you to make peace with the past. It is extremely useful in overcoming sexual trauma and abuse and the anxiety associated with these.
How to use red jasper for anxiety
- Place it on the root chakra area and breathe to relax
- Place a small stone in each palm while meditating for balance
- Place a stone between your feet for a few minutes to help with centering when you feel jumpy
Want to become a certified crystal healer?
Upskillist crystal healing online course will help you to get in touch with your intuition, source and collect the right crystals, and even do all the preparatory work for setting up your own practice. You’ll learn how to facilitate a full crystal healing session to bring about positive change in the lives of your clients.